Anyone wanna chocolate bar? A wholefood vegan one I mean ;)
Most definitely still a 'sometimes' food, but these Twix Bars are worth the time investment I promise!
Makes 8 bars
Time: 40 minutes + 2 hours chill time
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp rice malt syrup
- 1 cup dates (soaked in boiling water for 30 mins)
- 2 large Tbsp nut butter (peanut, almond etc)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 cup chocolate chips or 200g chopped chocolate
1. Soak dates and leave to soften. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
2. Line a loaf pan with baking paper and set aside. In a medium-sized bowl place almond meal and coconut flour and blend to combine. Slowly drizzle in oil and sweetener and mix.
3. Press shortbread into the lined loaf pan and flatten. Bake for 8-10 minutes until edges slightly browned. Remove and let cool while you make the caramel.
4. Into the food processor place dates and almond butter. Whiz until creamy, using a spatula to push the mixture towards the blades as needed. Add coconut oil and blend again.
5. Layer caramel over the shortbread and place in the freezer for 2 hours, or overnight if able. The caramel needs to be hard enough to be able to be sliced without squashing!
6. Once your caramel is hard, slice into 8 even sized bars. Place in the fridge while melting the chocolate.
7. Over a double boiler, melt chocolate buttons or chopped chocolate.
8. Take your bars and roll them in chocolate, then place them on a tray. When all 8 bars are coated in chocolate, place tray in the fridge for 20 minutes to let the chocolate harder.
Take them out and enjoy!