Whenever I go home to Wellington, I always make a trip to my favourite cafe for one of their famous Date and Orange Scones. Made with traditional flour, it's not exactly healthy, but it's one of those sometimes treats that conjures up memories of coffee dates with old friends and I just can't go past it.
Whilst reminiscing the other day, I thought I'd have a go a re-creating my old favourite, minus the flour, gluten and added sugars.
Let me know what you think!
Makes: 6 large scones
Time: 20 mins to make
Bake: 20 mins
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper and set aside.
2. Combine the flours, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and salt in a large mixing bowl.
3. Chop the room temperature butter into 1 cm chunks then use your hands to combine the butter into the flour mixture. The heat of your hands will continue to soften the butter and help combine. Once the mixture is crumbly, chop each medjool date into 4 and add to the mixture along with the orange zest. Mix to coat the dates in the flour mixture.
4. Next combine the almond milk, egg yolks and orange juice together and then stir through the flour mix. You should have a sticky dough.
5. Beat the egg whites until fluffy. Gently fold through 3/4 egg white mixture into the dough. Be careful not to over work the mixture or it will be too dense.
6. Next sprinkle some tapioca flour on the bench top and spread the scone mixture onto the bench. Make a large rectangle with the dough and use a wet knife to cut the dough into 6 large squares.
7. Transfer the scones onto the pre-prepared baking tray. With the reserved 1/4 egg white mixture, use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the scones and move to the oven to cook for 20 minutes.
These are delightful fresh out of the oven with a slab of butter, but also keep well for lunch boxes the following day.
Recipe inspired by my friend GatherGirl
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Light, flurry and only 6 ingredients! Say what?
Zero refined sugar and no oil, great for an afternoon snack for you and the kids.