I don't know about your family, but in mine, the Griffins Shewsbury's were always one of the first to go when we'd get to choose a biscuit from the biscuit jar.
We all used to have our own ways to eat them, my brothers would often eat the middle first, but I always nibbled around the outside and saved the jam bit for last.
Even though I wasn't able to replicate the star pattern in the center, these homemade Shewsbury's are better than the original in my opinion, and well you can actually see the raspberry seeds in the jam filling for a start!
Made without white flour, they're dairy free and sugar free and just so darn pretty!
Have a go and see what you think!
Makes: 8 biscuits (16 cookies)
Time: 10 mins
Bake: 15 mins
1. Turn oven to 170 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place gelatin in a small bowl and add 4 tsp of water. Mix then leave to bloom.
3. Mash raspberries with a fork or use an immersion blender until they are a puree. Add gelatin, chia seeds and reserved 2 tsp rice malt syrup and further blend until well combined. Transfer to the fridge to set while you make and bake the cookies.
4. Combine egg, oil, vanilla and rice malt syrup in a bowl until well mixed.
5. Add the dry ingredients then mix to combine. Mixture will remain sticky.
6. Roll into small equal sized balls with wet hands and then push down flat with your palm. Ensure you have an even number of cookies!
7. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
8. To assemble, place a spoonful of 'jam' between two cookies and sandwich them together.
Store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Looking for a way to sneak more veg into your kids? Even your grown-up kids?
These are the perfect fit for little fingers are hold together well (despite having no binder!) so there won’t be crumbs all over the house!
Dip them in some tomato sauce, aioli or sweet chilli and watch them eat their veggies!
This is a delicious recipe to whip up and pop in the lunch box this week.
The same delicious flavour and texture as the original, minus the sugar, butter and flour!
Packed full of fibre and vitamins, it'll be gobbled up in no time.