I challenged myself to see how many vegetable I could jam pack into a lasagne and still have it tasting a) delicious and b) authentic to the original.
As tasty as traditional lasagnes are (a firm kiwi favourite in most house holds I'm sure), they contain meat, pasta and lots of cheese sauce thickened with white flour. Scrumptious, but not entirely nutrient dense.
Until now that is. This lasagne has not one, but FIVE hidden vegetables in it (6 if you count tomatoes as a vegetable!) and will even have your kids and hubby fooled!
Time: 30-40 mins
Bake: 45 mins
Makes: 1 large lasagne tray
1. Turn oven to 180 degrees to heat. Drizzle olive oil in a large hot sauce pan.
2. Add minced garlic, onion and mushrooms and sauté for 5 minutes.
3. Add mince meat and cook until browned.
4. Add grated carrot and zucchini and stir to combine.
5. Add stock, tinned tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs and salt and pepper. Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes while you prepare the cheese sauce.
6. Cut cauliflower into small florets and add to a large pot of boiling water. Leave to cook for 10 minutes.
7. Once cauliflower is soft, drain the water. Add cheese, milk and salt and pepper, then blend to a sauce consistency with a stick blender. Add more milk if it needs it.
8. Next start to layer your lasagne. Spoon half the mince and vege mix into the bottom of a large lasagne dish. Lay lasagne sheets on top, then cover with half the cheese sauce. Next spread your kale even over the top. Layer remaining mince, lasagne sheet then last of the cheese sauce on top.
9. Sprinkle final cauliflower cheese layer with more grated cheese and salt and pepper.
10. Bake for 45 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
These super easy fritters are great for dinner or the lunch box. Packed full of goodness and perfect with some hummus, coconut yoghurt or sweet chilli sauce.
Double the recipe if you've got a big family to feed :)
Looking for a way to sneak more veg into your kids? Even your grown-up kids?
These are the perfect fit for little fingers are hold together well (despite having no binder!) so there won’t be crumbs all over the house!
Dip them in some tomato sauce, aioli or sweet chilli and watch them eat their veggies!