I had a craving for corn fritters the other day and so in usual fashion I thought,'what else can I add to the recipe to boost it nutrition wise'?
Sauerkraut is such a nutritional power house, a probiotic, full of good gut friendly bacteria, and I have a habit of mixing it into everything! In this recipe, it's fairly tasteless but packs a punch nutritionally and gets those good gut bugs into the kids!
Perfect lunch box fillers, these will last for 3 days in the fridge. I spread mine with cream cheese and pickle, or serve them hot for breakfast the bacon and avocado! Yum.
Makes:10-12 medium fritters
Time: 10 mins to make, 20 minutes fry
- 400g can whole corn kernels (preferably no added sugar or salt)
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 handful fresh coriander
- 2 Tbsp sauerkraut (I recommend BeNourished brand)
- 1 cup almond meal
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- salt and pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, to fry
1. Place half the tin of corn and all other ingredients, into a food processor and whiz to combine, until the corn is chopped into smaller pieces.
2. Remove the blade and add the remaining corn (so you have some chunkier kernels).
3. If mixture is too moist, add another 1/4 cup tapioca flour or as much as desired until it reaches the desired consistency.
4. Heat a hot griddle or fry pan and place a tablespoon of good quality olive oil or coconut oil in the pan. Once melted, dollop the mixture into 8-10cm circles in the fry pan and cook for 1 minutes each side. Repeat until all the mixture is cooked.
Serve hot with avocado and bacon, or cool and place in lunch boxes the next day!