One always needs a good chocolate loaf to whip up at the last minute, and what is better than one that is delicious AND has added greens?!
I had an old recipe on the blog for a chocolate zucchini bread but over the year I've changed and improved it 10 fold in my opinion.
This new and improved recipe is more cake like in texture, less dense and rises more (as a good loaf should), all the while being refined sugar, grain and (can be easily made) dairy free.
Why not whip some up for lunch boxes next week?
Makes: 1 large loaf
Time: 10 mins to make, 1 hour 15mins to bake
- 2 cups almond meal
- 2/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 75g butter (or coconut oil if diary free)
- 1/3 cup rice malt syrup
- 3 eggs
- splash of almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 2 cups grated zucchini, gently pressed
- chopped chocolate for the top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees and line a small loaf pan with baking paper.
2. Place all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix to combine.
3. Melt butter and add to the dry mix along with eggs and rice malt syrup. Add a splash of almond milk if mix is too sticky.
4. Grate zucchini then press moisture out with a paper towel of tea towel to remove as much liquid as possible. Gently fold in the grated zucchini and then spread into loaf pan smoothing the top.
5. Sprinkle loaf with chopped dark chocolate or walnuts.
6. Transfer to the oven and cook for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until skewer comes out clean.
Slice and enjoy with butter, ricotta or along side your favourite yoghurt.
Share this post
- 1 comment
- Tags: dairy free, easy, gluten free, grain free, lunchbox, paleo, snacks, sugar free, treat