I adore peppermint anytime of year, but there's something about the flavour that does remind me of Christmas time. It's probably the candy canes we used to sneak from the tree before the day or the after-dinner mints we used to have at our Grandparents. Whatever the reason, I thought a Peppermint Slice was rather appropriate this time of year!
I later cut these slices into halves again, as they're super rich (in all the right ways!) and you only need a taste. I also make this in a loaf tin because I like thick layers. If you want a thinner slice, feel free to spread the mixture in a square slice tray.
Best served straight from the fridge, these grain-free, sugar-free bites are the perfect addition to any Christmas holiday menu or just because!
Makes: 28 bite sized squares
Time: make 40 mins
Freeze time: 1 hour
1. Line a large loaf pan with baking paper.
2. Place boiling water over the cashew nuts and soak for 30mins.
3. In a bowl, combine almond meal and cacao powder.
4. In a saucepan, melt rice malt syrup, coconut oil and cashew butter and combine until a caramel sauce is created.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well. Spread mixture flat in the loaf pan and transfer to the freezer while you make the peppermint.
6. In a high powdered blender (or food processor) combine soaked cashews, melted coconut butter, melted coconut oil, coconut milk, rice malt syrup and peppermint essential oil/essence. Blend on high for 2 minutes until all ingredients are combined and no large chunks of cashews are seen. Taste to see if the peppermint flavour is strong enough for your personal preference (I don't like mine too overpowering!).
7. Remove the base from the freezer and pour your creamy peppermint layer over the base, pressing it down and then returning it to the freezer for 20-30 mins.
8. Once the peppermint has hardened, melt the chocolate over a double boiler and add coconut milk (for an extra creamy chocolate layer), then layer on top of the peppermint and again return to the freezer for 20 minutes.
9. Take out of the freezer and cut into bite-sized slices. Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Light, flurry and only 6 ingredients! Say what?
Zero refined sugar and no oil, great for an afternoon snack for you and the kids.