As a child, CookieTime Apricot and Chocolate Bumper Bars were my favourite!
I used to save my pocket money and buy them at the school tuck shop. Not only were they delicious but teenager me thought they were a healthier alternative to chocolate bars.
Unfortunately, I was sadly mistaken. These bars are packed full of flour, refined plant oils, seven different kinds of sugar (I'm not kidding! I checked) and lots of numbers, flavours, additives, and preservatives.
I figured there must be a way to recreate the taste and texture, minus the inflammatory ingredients!
I had major success in my opinion, but see what you think!
I used lots of fibre rich oats and flax meal, and healthful fat from nuts, seeds, and coconut oil. The chocolate crunch factor comes from the cacao nibs and chocolate topping and the only sugar content from the dried fruit! Zero additives and preservatives needed!
Makes: 1 slice pan
Time: make 10 mins, cool 1-2 hours
1. Line a slice tray with baking paper and set aside.
2. In a small bowl, place mango and dates and cover with boiling water. Allow to soak for 5 minutes.
3. In the bowl of the food processor, add all dry ingredients and process to a fine crumb.
4. In another small bowl, melt coconut oil and add almond butter to the oil and mix together.
5. Drain the mango and dates of the liquid used to soak them. Add to the dry ingredients in food processor.
6. With the food processor going on low, slowly pour the oil and nut butter mixture into the dry ingredients.
7. You should now have a mixture that should be able to be pressed into your slice tin. Press mixture down with your hands until even.
8. To make the chocolate drizzle, melt cacao butter and mix through cacao powder and maple syrup. Transfer to a piping bag and drizzle over slice.
9. Place slice in the fridge to set for 1 hour before slicing into bars.
Slice will keep in the fridge for a week or the freezer for 3 months.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Light, flurry and only 6 ingredients! Say what?
Zero refined sugar and no oil, great for an afternoon snack for you and the kids.