Many raw 'caramel' slices online these days are full of sugar, even if it's in the form of dates, which taste beautiful but will spike your insulin levels (which tell your body to store fat if it's in excess) and trigger your body to want more and more!
This decadent slice is not the same. With natural sweetness from the coconut and only one teaspoon of rice malt syrup (my fructose free sweetener of choice), it won't dramatically spike your blood sugars and send you into a food coma this Christmas season! Yay. I do caution you however, that it's so delicious you will want to store it out of sight!
Chocolate & Caramel Nut Slice
Make: 20 mins
Freeze time: 1 hour total
1. Line a small 20x10cm loaf pan with baking paper.
2. Place all ingredients for the base in a bowl and mix. Place into the preprepared tin and into the freezer until set (approx 20mins) and hard to the touch.
3. Meanwhile, to make the caramel topping, mix tahini, coconut oil and rice malt syrup together until smooth.
4. Once base is set, pour caramel layer over the top and spread evenly.
5. Sprinkle the caramel layer with chopped brazil nuts and press them down lightly into the caramel.
6. Return to the freezer for a further 30 mins until set. Cut into squares and store in the fridge.
(the caramel layer does become soft the longer it's left out of the fridge, so take it out of the fridge right before serving to your guests/ eating yourself! and then stand back and wait for the praise!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Easy and delicious, these light and crispy treats will be a hit for the lunchbox!
They're free from nuts and use a fructose-free sweetener to avoid sugar spikes to keep your kids energised the whole day.
With a few extra add ons for extra nutrition, give these a whirl and see what you think!