There are many grain free hot cross bun recipes online and I've tried my fair share of them. Most contain almond meal and other heavy flours which often mean they taste like hot cross buns but don't have the lovely spongey texture of a proper bun.
This recipe is adapted from my Best Seeded Sandwich Bread (also in recipe archives) and uses a combination of psyllium husk and coconut flour to create a lighter flurry roll that is just so good toasted with butter!
But don't take my word for it, try it out this Easter (or any time for that matter!)
Prep: 10 mins
Bake: 1 hour
Makes: 8 buns
For the cross:
1. Heat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Place all dry ingredients, except sultanas, in a food processor and whiz for 1 minute.
3. In a separate bowl combine eggs, water, oil, rice malt syrup, apple cider vinegar, orange juice and zest.
4. Pour wet ingredients into dry, add sultanas and combine. Kneed dough for 1 minute, then shape into 8 buns and place on a baking sheet.
5. Next combine the cross ingredients and spoon into a small zip lock bag. Cut the corner to form a piping tube. Pipe crosses onto buns.
6. Transfer to the oven for 1 hour, rotating baking tray after 30 mins for even cooking.
Enjoy hot out of the oven slathered with butter!
Comments will be approved before showing up.