I'm always seeing people spending over $10 on one of those little packets of 5 tiny Little Bird Macaroons, and as delicious as they are, many of us just can't afford upwards of $2 per treat, so I set about to try and recreate a cheaper sugar free version.
Many of you have also been requesting some nut free baking inspiration and these are perfect for nut free lunch boxes (as many schools seem to be going this way due to the increase in nut allergies).
With minimal ingredients, these are super quick to whip up and great to get the kids in the kitchen these school holidays.
Time: 15 mins
Bake: 25 mins
Makes: 14 large macaroons
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix together coconut, cacao, almond milk, rice malt syrup, cinnamon and vanilla.
3. Separate whites of two eggs, then with an electric beater, whisk to a peak, the gently stir into the macaroon mixture.
4. Shape mixture into balls with your hands. Place evenly onto the tray. Mixture should make 12-14 large macaroons, or 20 small macaroons.
5. Bake in oven for 25 minutes, then let cool on a tray.
Macaroons will keep in an air tight container for up to a week.
Comments will be approved before showing up.