A family favourite, the sausage roll brings back memories of kids birthday parties and after school snacks. A heart sausage roll is also what my husband craves most after a long surf!
Here is a great recipe for grain free sausage rolls that taste awesome and are a great lunch box filler too.
Makes: 10 x 2 cm wide sausage rolls
Prep: 20 mins
Bake: 35 mins
- 400g pork, beef or lamb sausages (preferably gluten, additive and preservative free)
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil (I use Red Island EVOO)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup arrowroot flour (or tapioca flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. To make pastry, take a saucepan, place oil, water and salt in pan and then bring to the boil.
3. Take off heat and add arrowroot flour and mix until a stick dough forms. Let the dough cool for 3 minutes.
4. Add eggs and coconut flour and mix until combined.
5. Remove dough and place on a floured surface and knead for 3 minutes.
6. Roll the dough out to form a large rectangle.
7. Remove sausages from their cases and then use your hands to form one ball of sausage meat. Now roll the sausage meat into a large tube.
8. Place the sausage meat on one end of the dough rectangle and then roll the pastry over the meat and press down to seal the roll (you may have to repeat this process, by dividing the meat in half, if you decide to make mini sausage rolls).
9. Cut roll into desired widths (I like 2-3 cm rolls) and place upright on the lined tray.
10. Whisk remaining egg well and then use a basting brush to paint the egg on top of the sausage roll pastry (for a golden glaze).
11. Bake for 30-40 minutes, until pastry is golden and meat is cooked through.
Enjoy hot with homemade tomato sauce or refrigerate for lunch boxes during the week.