I've seen many remakes of the American classic Oreo cookie, many of them raw, most of them containing dates or coconut sugar, so I set out to make a version with even less sugar!
These deliciously chocolatey (is that even proper English?) biscuits can be made and eaten as is, or you can fill them with whatever filling you choose! I used mascarpone here, which complemented the biscuit really well, but if you're dairy free you could try some whipped coconut cream or even coconut butter for a slightly sweeter filling.
Makes: 6 cookies (12 single biscuits)
Time: 40 mins (including 30 mins of chilling in the freezer)
Bake: 5-7 mins
1. Over a double boiler (or slowly in the microwave), melt the chocolate and then stir in the melted coconut oil, egg and rice malt syrup (if using).
2. In another bowl, combine flour, cacao and baking powder.
3. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Form a ball with the mixture and then transfer onto a piece of baking paper and wrap like a parcel.
5. Place mixture in the freezer for approximately 25-30 minutes.
6. Preheat over to 180 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper.
7. Remove mixture from freezer and place on the bench top with another piece of baking paper over the top. Use a rolling pin to roll mixture to about 2mm.
8. Use a glass jar (or cookie cutter if you have one) to cut circles in the mixture and place these on the lined baking tray. Repeat process of rolling and cutting until all mixture is used up.
9. Bake cookies for 5-7 minutes (dependant on your oven) or until cooked through.
10. Let cookies cool completely, then spread filling onto one side of a cookie and top with another cookie. Consume immediately (or the biscuit will go soggy within a day!).
Keep biscuits in an airtight container for 2 days.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Easy and delicious, these light and crispy treats will be a hit for the lunchbox!
They're free from nuts and use a fructose-free sweetener to avoid sugar spikes to keep your kids energised the whole day.
With a few extra add ons for extra nutrition, give these a whirl and see what you think!