We all know kids (and adults, lets be honest) love cereal for breakfast. However, the vast majority of breakfast offerings in supermarkets are laden with refined sugars and flours, both of which wreak havoc on our bodies.
Here is a healthified alternative the kids will adore (but keep the jar up high or out of sight, otherwise it won't last long!)
- 1 cup of shredded coconut
- ½ cup of sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup of chia seeds
- 1 Tab cinnamon
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup of rice malt syrup (or substitute for honey or maple syrup)
- 1 large free range egg
1. Place coconut, sunflower seeds, chia, cinnamon and salt in a food processor and pulse until you have a flour like consistency.
2. Place the flour in a small mixing bowl and add the rice malt syrup and egg. Mix well.
3. Scoop the mixture onto a piece of baking paper and cover with another piece of baking paper. Roll this out with a rolling pin until you have a rectangle, roughly 8" x 10" and ¼" thick.
4. Remove the top sheet and pre-cut the dough into small 2x2cm squares.
5. Place the baking paper on a oven tray and cook at 160 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes until light brown.
Enjoy with your choice of yoghurt and fresh berries!